Saturday 16 April 2011

Time To Say Goodbye...


To my (not so) faithful friend, Dougie. I bought Dougs on the 13/02/2008 from a chap a very long way up my street for £700 (? it was a while ago!) After three months, she needed an engine replacement, new clutch and various other things doing. I should have just called it quits and sold her then, but I loved my first little car so much, that I hung on to her for dear life.
We have been on many adventures, to Felixstowe, York, Fleetwood, London, Burnley and many more that I can't recall right now, and she has been so much fun. From the first drive out in her the day I passed my test, to just the mundane drive to work, she has been my best friend!

After being towed home from London, Dead as a doornail, May 2008
I can't even count the amount of repairs she has had since I have had her, numerous trips to Blackburn Brakes, Halfords and the like and I dread to think how much it has cost me to keep her going.
She has had a brand new engine, another new head gasket and top end on top of that, two catalytic converters, exhausts, pipes, bulbs, you name it, Dougie has probably eaten one whilst I have had her!
Dougie and Mikey's car at Bradgate Park, Summer 2008
Shiny and clean, with Alex's 205 GTi, 2009

106 owners Go Karting meet, September 2009

After a BIG wash (clay bar and everything), 2009
The worlds most fun, most uneconomical car in existence. I will miss her so much!

But after one too many failed MOT's (it has failed every year I have owned her, been passed with dodgy MOTs, quick fixes, just getting by etc) that now, it really is just too much to fix her. The bill was passed for two big spots of welding to be re-done and a new rear beam (which has had awful camber since I can remember and only now has it been a problem). Alas, it is time to say goodbye to the little beauty that is my 1.0l Peugeot 106 Deathcab. 
May she rest in peace in a scrapyard in the sky!

Swithland Wood
When the HG went for the second time!

The 'Shed' and Dougie! 
And the irony, is that for the first year that I have had her, she passed her emissions test TWICE!

1 comment:

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Must be hard to say goodbye!

We bought our 5th-hand car 4 years ago, an old Daihatsu Charade and we have similarly seen many repairs over that time. It's still going strong to this day1

Duncan In Kuantan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...